THE family of a 13-year-old boy who was hospitalised after he was attacked have told of their fears.
It comes after the boy and his friend, 12, were stabbed in Emsworth in Southleigh Road.
He has had a lot of surgery already and faces more but he has been stabilisedThe 13-year-old’s mother
Family members remain at the elder boy’s bedside at Southampton General Hospital in a high-dependency unit as he recovers.
Both boys were in a serious but stable condition earlier this week.
Speaking yesterday his mum said: ‘He was in an alleyway off the street. They were really worried and he was flown by air ambulance to the hospital.
‘They told me that undoubtedly saved his life, as he lost a lot of blood through internal bleeding and the road journey would have been 35 minutes.’
She added: ‘It was touch and go for a long time after it happened but now they say he is serious but stable.
‘He faces another operation tomorrow and will have to have more surgery after that.’
She added: ‘It’s going to be a long job.’
The boys cannot be named for legal reasons.
His father added: ‘His mother called me just minutes after getting the news and I went down as quick as I could.
‘It was dreadful to see him in hospital with all the tubes coming out of him.
‘He has been on a ventilator to help him breathe and was dosed up with drugs to keep his metabolism down.
‘He’s still under 24-hour monitoring and there is a long way to go.’
His mother added: ‘He has had a lot of surgery already and faces more but he has been stabilised.’
It comes after Richard Michael Walsh, of no fixed address, appeared at Portsmouth Magistrates’ Court charge with attempted murder of both boys after the attacks on June 26.
The 43-year-old is also charged with one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm relating to a third youth on the same day.
In court it was revealed Walsh is also charged with robbery of a bike from a youth on June 8 in Southleigh Road.
Walsh is due to appear at Portsmouth Crown Court on July 20.
Before the hearing police said two boys aged 12 and 13 stabbed at the junction of Southleigh Road and Eastleigh Road on Friday afternoon are in a serious but stable condition. The 13-year-old boy was flown by air ambulance to Southampton General Hospital.
The 12-year-old was taken by road ambulance to Queen Alexandra Hospital in Cosham initially but moved to Southampton General Hospital where he is in a serious but stable condition.
The stretch of road where the incident took place is often used as a shortcut between Havant and Emsworth.
Extra police patrols were out in the area afterwards.