Facebook boast to his friends lands dopey thug ABH conviction

DOPEY Michael Ruse and, inset, Daryl Smitherman
DOPEY Michael Ruse and, inset, Daryl Smitherman

Teenager involved in ‘appalling’ violence is banned from Pompey

Have your say

A DOZY thug was convicted of an assault after bragging to friends on Facebook that he thought he had got away with it.

Michael Ruse was on trial along with pal Terry Reeve for attacking Reeve’s dad, Gareth, with a baseball bat and baton.

JAILED Daryl Smitherman

JAILED Daryl Smitherman

Two weeks into the trial at Portsmouth Crown Court, shortly before the jury was due to go out, Ruse thought things were looking good and went online to share the news.

The 21-year-old wrote a status update, saying: ‘Another week at court!’

When asked by a friend about the case he said: ‘Yeah I think I get away with it tbh x’, adding it was ‘looking good’.

The exchange was printed out and delivered anonymously to the court where it was handed to the prosecution.

Confronted by the new evidence Ruse, who had used the name Michael Miles online, had little choice but to change his plea to guilty to assault causing actual bodily harm.

The dopey yob, who has previous for assault and criminal damage, then showed he hadn’t learnt from his mistake, going back on the social networking site to describe the judge as ‘stuck up’ hours before his sentencing.

Judge Ian Pearson said Ruse’s stupidity was no excuse.

‘You pleaded guilty part way through the trial only really because you were stupid enough to put on Facebook what amounted to a full confession,’ he said.

‘Your stupidity really is not much mitigation.’

Ruse, of Botley Drive, Leigh Park, was given a 46 week prison sentence, suspended for two years, and put on a six month curfew from 7pm to 7am.

Russell Pyne, defending, said his client had planned to move away from Leigh Park and change his ways.

‘He needs help with regards to thinking skills,’ he added.

Reeve, of Shipton Green, Leigh Park, was found guilty of the assault and of criminal damage after the trial. He was jailed for a year and 55 days.

During the trial the court heard Reeve, 20, had thrown a brick at his dad’s car earlier in the day in March last year.

The two men then armed themselves with weapons and attacked the 45-year-old lorry driver in the street in Harvestgate Walk, Leigh Park. Mr Reeve Senior was left with a cut to his head and bruises all over his body.

Michael Williams, defending Reeve, said he had not had a happy childhood.

‘The reason that he perhaps thinks with his fists first comes from his father,’ he said.

After the hearing Ruse went back on Facebook to say: ‘Boom! Im coming home best start sorting myself out. Tag for 6 months...and got to stay out of trouble for 2 years.’

He was also fined £250 in court costs.

Pair jailed for separate vicious assault

PART of Terry Reeve’s sentence was for another attack, carried out while he was on bail for the assault on his dad.

He and his friend Daryl Smitherman attacked Liam Allen in Middle Park Way, Leigh Park, with Smitherman smashing a bottle over the 21-year-old’s head.

The pair assaulted Mr Allen after he accused Reeve of ‘grassing him up’ to the police over an unconnected matter.

Smitherman repeatedly hit him over the head with a bottle of vodka until it smashed, Portsmouth Crown Court heard.

As those two struggled on the ground Reeve joined in, punching Mr Allen in the back.

The assault happened four months after the attack on Gareth Reeve, in July last year.

Reeve pleaded guilty to common assault and Smitherman, also of Shipton Green, Leigh Park, pleaded guilty to unlawful wounding. Smitherman was jailed for 16 months.

Mr Allen, a roofer, was left with a permanent injury to his hand.

Judge Ian Pearson said: ‘This was a sustained attack using a bottle as a weapon.

‘It caused significant injury.’