WINDOWS covered in cobwebs and a griddle coated in coagulated grease were just some of the monstrosities found in a burger van.
Environmental health officers found a catalogue of hygiene risks when they inspected a burger van at Woodruff Business Centre, in Terminus Road, Chichester.
The owner of the mobile catering van, William Sweeney, has now been ordered to pay more than £3,000 in fines and costs for poor food hygiene.
Sweeney, who runs BDS Catering, which trades as Billys, was prosecuted by Chichester District Council.
Windows were covered in food, dirt and cobwebs and there was an inadequate supply of hot water for hand washing.
Worthing Magistrates’ Court heard staff did not have good knowledge of food hygiene and there was a concern that cross contamination could take place during food production.
Magistrates said they took a dim view of the length of time it had taken Sweeney to deal with the offences and told him to close for a couple of days so the kitchen could be cleaned.
Chichester councillor Eileen Lintill said: ‘Breaches of food hygiene laws are taken extremely seriously. The public should feel confident when visiting restaurants, takeaways and cafes that the food is prepared in a clean, tidy environment.’