Gang tried to rob Gosport man in botched raid, court is told

The trial continues at Portsmouth Crown Court

The trial continues at Portsmouth Crown Court

In the Courts – latest update

0
Have your say

A GANG forced their way into a man’s home breaking the door off its hinges after they were wrongly told he had £50,000 there, a court heard.

A jury at Portsmouth Crown Court heard the victim was home alone with his sons, aged six and 10, in St Vincent Road, Forton, Gosport.

Four men burst through the door and punched the victim, demanding he hand over the cash, prosecutor Nick Tucker told the jury.

‘He was in the kitchen, his sons were upstairs in their bedroom, there came a knock at the front door,’ he said.

‘He was confronted by a man who he didn’t recognise who asked if Steve was there.

‘Mr Hughes told him he had the wrong address.

‘He was quickly joined by first one person then two more. All but the first wore balaclavas. Hughes was shouting at them to leave.

‘The men pushed at the front door with such force it lifted off the hinges.’

The victim was forced to use the door as a shield as he was punched, the court heard.

Mr Tucker added: ‘They began to punch him repeatedly to the head, face and body, one seemed to be holding a weapon and he hit Mr Hughes on the head. He tried to defend himself.’

Mr Hughes’ two young sons appeared at the top of the stairs and the men briefly stopped, allowing the victim to throw a punch in the incident on March 31 last year.

But the men continued their attack, only stopping and rushing off when the eldest son came down.

Wayne Dujon, 33, of Ransome Close, Fareham, Tyrone Smith, 33, of Millers Pond Gardens, Southampton, Jessica Jenkins, 37, of Potters Avenue, Fareham, Stewart Broughton, 50, of Ann’s Hill Road, Gosport, and Nathan Brown, 25, of Landguard Road, Southampton, are charged with conspiracy to commit robbery.

Mr Tucker added: ‘Wayne Dujon was the organiser, Nathan Brown and Tyrone Smith were among four men who forced their way in Mr Hughes’ home and Jessica Jenkins and Stewart Broughton were the getaway drivers.

‘They appear to have been given duff information about what they might find in the house and in the event left empty handed.’

He said the men sped off in a BMW X5, driven by Stewart Broughton and a Peugeot 206, driven by Jenkins.

A fingerprint later found in the BMW linked Tyrone Smith to the car and he was arrested.

Police also seized mobile phones, one which was later linked to Dujon.

Dujon and Jenkins are charged with conspiracy to steal between March 1 and March 12. Mr Tucker said: ‘They planned to steal drugs and perhaps other property from drug dealers in the Southampton area.’

Jenkins has pleaded guilty to the charge while Dujon denies it, the jury was told.

Jurors were shown text messages that the prosecution say were sent between Dujon and Jenkins referring to 
renting vans and talking about stealing cannabis plants from property in Southampton.

Dujon is also charged with attempting to pervert the course of justice by writing letters while in prison telling how people should fabricate a defence to the rest of the case.

Mr Tucker read from letters found in prison where Dujon was being held between July 1 and October 30.

The letters claim a man called Liam was in charge.

Mr Tucker added: ‘That is a desperate attempt to try and fabricate a different account.’

(Proceeding)

Back to the top of the page