Gloomy skies as police scour beach for clues

DETAILED The team of searchers on the beach. (122287-335)
DETAILED The team of searchers on the beach. (122287-335)
General manager at the Royal Maritime Club in Portsmouth, 

John Alderson, pictured when the club's two historical visitors books were returned

Theft charge dismissed as mystery of stolen books signed by Queen Victoria goes on

Have your say

A GRIM backdrop of grey skies and intermittent rain was broken by the sight of police officers slowly analysing every inch of the area where the torso was found.

Forensic experts formed lines – some 12 deep – as they remained transfixed on the stoney beach, painstakingly searching for vital clues to help their investigations.

Passers-by stopped at the police cordons set up by Rocksbys Cafe and as far down as the Pyramids to take a closer look before continuing their journeys.

Those enjoying the tranquil peace of the nearby Rock Gardens were shocked to see crime scene investigators rummaging through bushes and shrubs as the major investigation team ensured no rock was left unturned.

Small yellow numbered cones and blue plastic disposable gloves littered the beach, marking areas police believe may hold evidence.

The sight of police vehicles greeted users of the Pyramids car park as teams of officers plotted their next moves.

Det Insp Adam Price and Chief Insp Steve Burridge remained in the media’s glare and reassured the Southsea community a strong police presence will remain in the area.

Despite searching nearby vicinity, Det Insp Price confirmed no other body parts had been found but would not reveal inner the details of the investigation. Most members of the public were shocked by the news, but some believe the murder investigation is a sign of the times.

Audrey and William Bell, of Southsea, spent the afternoon relaxing in the Rock Gardens.

Mr Bell said: ‘It’s a very violent country.’

Mrs Bell added: ‘It’s awful. I hope they find the person responsible for this.’

As the night drew closer, the officers at the beach showed no sign of ending their search.