Gosport girl’s camp site death ruled accidental

INVESTIGATION Police officers cordoning off the area around the tent.
INVESTIGATION Police officers cordoning off the area around the tent.
Copperfields Hair Studio, on Hayling Avenue in Baffins. Picture: Google Street View PPP-171118-153719001

Hair salon in Baffins damaged by thieves

0
Have your say

CARBON monoxide poisoning was responsible for the death of a six-year-old girl who was on a camping trip with her parents, an inquest has heard.

Isabelle Harris, from Gosport, was camping in a tent with her parents in the New Forest on April 6.

Her mum Tracey, 40, woke in the middle of the night and found her not breathing.

She was taken to Southampton General Hospital but was pronounced dead shortly after.

An inquest in Bournemouth today has heard the family placed a charcoal barbecue burner inside the tent to help keep them warm.

A post mortem examination revealed the youngster had died from carbon monoxide poisoning as a result.

Coroner Sheriff Payne recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Isabelle’s parents, Lee and Tracey Harris, issued a statement through Hampshire Constabulary after the inquest.

It said: ‘Our lives have been devastated by the loss of Isabelle.

‘It is difficult to put into words what the past few months have been like without her, and we are still trying to come to terms with our loss.

‘We hope Isabelle’s death will act as a warning to others about the dangers of carbon monoxide.

‘It is our sincere hope no-one ever again has to go through what we have been through.’

Hampshire police have now issued a warning to the public about the dangers of carbon monoxide as a result of the inquest.

Speaking after the inquest, senior investigating officer, Detective Inspector John Geden, said:

‘This is an extremely tragic case in which a six-year-old child lost her life during a family camping trip. The cause of her death has been determined as carbon monoxide poisoning through the inhalation of fumes from burning charcoal, emitted by the family’s barbecue.

‘Isabelle was very much adored and cared for, and her loss is devastating to her parents and wider family.

‘As we have heard today, Isabelle succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning after a coal briquette-fuelled barbecue was brought inside the family tent to keep her warm on a very cold night.

‘Tragically, many are not aware of the significant risk from carbon monoxide this poses, and our message to all is a very simple one: please do not take barbecues indoors at all. If we can stop one more family from having to go through this terrible experience, then Isabelle’s death will not have been in vain.’