Gosport girl was found ‘unresponsive in tent’

PROBE Investigators at the Holmsley campsite in the New Forest.  Picture: Robert Nemeti/Solent
PROBE Investigators at the Holmsley campsite in the New Forest. Picture: Robert Nemeti/Solent

Roof-running louts reported in Cowplain

0
Have your say

THE cause of a six-year-old’s death after an incident at a campsite remains a mystery, a coroner’s court has heard.

Isabelle Harris, of Hill Park Road in Gosport, died after going into cardiac arrest at a New Forest campsite shortly after midnight on Good Friday.

Despite attempts to save her, the youngster died at Southampton General Hospital at 1.16am.

But a post-mortem examination failed to establish the cause of her death and the coroner’s court is now waiting on detailed reports to shed light on the tragedy.

Southampton’s deputy coroner Gordon Denson opened the inquest yesterday and said: ‘The purposes of these proceedings are merely to open the inquest and for identification purposes.’

Coroner’s officer Howard Willis read a short description of the night Isabelle died and the immediate aftermath.

‘Isabelle Hope Harris was found unresponsive in a tent she was sharing with her parents at Holmsley Campsite.

‘Resuscitation was commenced by her parents and paramedics at the scene and she was taken to Southampton General Hospital by ambulance, but shortly after arrival she was pronounced dead.’

Mr Willis explained that concerns from the paediatric consultant who examined Isabelle at the hospital led to the need for a post-mortem.

The post-mortem was carried out on Friday afternoon at the Royal Hampshire County Hospital in Winchester by pathologists Basil Purdue and Dr Darren Fowler.

Mr Willis said: ‘They found no suspicious circumstances surrounding Isabelle’s death.

‘But they were unable to give a cause of death at the time, therefore the cause of death is currently recorded as unascertained pending histology and toxicology reports.’

Her parents, Lee and Tracey Harris were initially arrested on suspicion of murder but later released without charge.

In a statement previously released through the police, the couple, said: ‘No words are strong enough to describe how we feel.

‘Isabelle was our whole world – everything we ever did was for her.’

No family were present at the 10-minute hearing.

The inquest was adjourned and the case file has now been transferred to the Bournemouth coroner’s office, where a full inquest will be held at a later date.