A MAN bombarded his ex-girlfriend with messages and threatened to send out explicit pictures of her, a court heard.
Magistrates in Portsmouth were told that Dale Fletcher had sent numerous voicemails, emails and Facebook messages to his ex-partner over of three weeks and had threatened to send the private photos of her to work colleagues.
Colin Shackell, prosecuting, said: ‘When the couple first split in 2009, the woman made allegations of harassment to police who issued a warning to Fletcher.
‘The couple then rekindled their relationship in early 2012 but the harassment started again when they later broke up in February.
‘The police were contacted on February 12 by the woman, who complained about further harassment, and arrested Fletcher.’
Mr Shackell told the court that Fletcher had made an unsuccessful Freedom of Information Act to find out what had been said about him in emails sent from his ex-girlfriend’s workplace. He did this after discovering he had been de-friended by a number of her friends on networking site LinkdIn.
The court then heard from the defence that Fletcher, 33, of High Street, Gosport, had a traumatic childhood which contributed to his issues with relationships.
Madeleine Dimatteo said: ‘He knows that he needs to correct his behaviour and he is receiving help and support to do this.
‘He says he feels awful and expresses his deepest remorse.’
She added that the 35 days he spent in custody on remand should be taken into account when the sentence was decided.
Magistrate John Henly said: ‘We are particularly concerned about the threats made to show private photographs.’
Fletcher was given a two-year restraining order for harassment and is banned from contacting the woman directly or indirectly or through a third party and he cannot contact her workplace, work email address, or employees. He is also prevented from visiting her home address or any of the West Meon area.
He has to follow a community order for two years, which includes getting counselling.
Fletcher, who admitted harassment, was an active member of the Gosport community and was listed last year as a director of Gosport Waterfront Community Festivals Limited, which organises the Waterfront Festival.
He also ran in the last Gosport borough elections to become a Conservative councillor for Forton but lost.