A HEARTBROKEN family is demanding justice for a father-of-10 who plunged 30ft to his death from the bucket of a digger.
Julie Campbell is distraught at having to explain to her young children how Lindsay Campbell is never coming home.
An inquest into the death of the 66-year-old design engineer has now concluded there were shortcomings in the health and safety procedures at the industrial estate where he died.
The Health and Safety Executive is also continuing its investigation.
Mrs Campbell, 49, of Cunningham Road, Waterlooville, said: ‘He should never have died – never.
‘What we are going through, explaining to my little ones that they are not going to see their dad again, they are really struggling.
‘Their dad should not have died like that – no-one deserves to go like that.’
Mr Campbell died in Royal London Hospital the day after an incident at South Coast Skips, in Rudford Industrial Estate, Ford, West Sussex, on July 25 last year.
He and another worker were in the bucket of an excavator as they were installing a new machine and attempted to pass an electrical cable.
A hydraulic failure in the digger caused the bucket to tip forward, sending both men crashing to the concrete floor below.
An inquest by jury at Horsham, West Sussex, concluded in a narrative verdict that it was not appropriate for the cabling work to be done from the excavator bucket. There was no mobile elevated platform on site.
Assistant coroner Elisabeth Jones concluded that the ‘adequacy of the training in respect of health and safety was a relevant factor leading to Mr Campbell’s death’.
She also agreed the level of supervision on site was a relevant factor in the death. Mr Campbell had worked for Fareham-based Kevin Hoare, who runs South Coast Skips and other companies, for 20 years.
Mr Campbell’s daughter Karen Withey, 26, from Waterlooville, who used to work in the equestrian side of the business, said: ‘Health and safety was never a big topic. I am angry. He should never have been in that bucket.’
Mrs Campbell, who had seven children with Mr Campbell after he remarried, added: ‘I want justice for him. I don’t want this to happen to another family.’
Mr Hoare told The News he would not be making a comment. He added: ‘I’m sorry, I can’t say anything.’
The findings of the coroner are now being examined by investigators.
A spokesman for the Health and Safety Executive said: ‘It’s an ongoing investigation.
‘We will review the findings of the inquest and make a final decision on whether action should be taken.’
The police have dropped criminal proceedings for manslaughter by gross negligence.
A spokesman for Sussex Police said the file had been handed to the Health and Safety Executive.