Knife attack by jilted lover left Portsmouth woman blinded

Louis Makai. Picture: Sussex Police

Police offer reward for arrest of former Portsmouth resident after £12 million heroin supply trial

Have your say

A MAN who stabbed his partner 15 times after she told him their relationship was over has been jailed for 10 years.

Sarah Harris was left for dead by brute Martin Adams who repeatedly stabbed her with two kitchen knives.

In the aftermath of the attack – while lying covered in blood and fighting for her life – Miss Harris told paramedics: ‘It was Martin. I’m going to die, aren’t I?’

Remarkably Sarah, 35, survived.

But she is blind in one eye and permanently scarred after receiving stab wounds to her eyes, nose, cheek, back, head and torso.

Adams attacked Miss Harris after she ended their relationship at their then home in Cranleigh Road, Buckland, Portsmouth.

A neighbour raised the alarm after being awoken by the couple arguing, with Adams shouting and swearing and Miss Harris screaming ‘Martin, no’.

He then went round to the property, and en route saw Adams standing in the street.

Adams, 42, then fled at about 11pm on July 16.

On entering the home the neighbour found Miss Harris lying on the floor, covered in blood.

Police and paramedics arrived a short while later and police found two broken knives about three or four yards from where she lay.

Martyn Booth, prosecuting at Portsmouth Crown Court, said: ‘This must have been a brutal and frenzied attack whatever way anyone looks at it.’

Medics stabilised Miss Harris and she was taken to Southampton General Hospital by ambulance.

She regained consciousness at the hospital for a short while.

While awake she confirmed to a police officer guarding her that Adams was responsible for the attack.

Miss Harris underwent a five-hour operation to save her left eye.

But the surgery was unsuccessful.

Adams later turned up at a friend’s house with blood on his hands, asked if he could have a shower and changed his clothes before leaving.

There is no suggestion the friend knew what had happened.

Police launched a manhunt and Adams, of Gatcombe Avenue, Hilsea, handed himself in to Portsmouth Central police station the next evening.

He was jailed for 10 years after admitting a charge of attempted murder.

Detective Constable Chris Dinenage said: ‘This was an horrific incident that has permanently changed Sarah’s life.

‘Adams has done his best to ruin Sarah’s life.

‘Sarah has coped incredibly well considering what she has been through and she is an inspiration to all.’