Mum was four times over the limit on M275

Suean Charlesworth
Suean Charlesworth
rw images from Simon Hart

From: Simon Hart <>

Even though George V proclaimed all German titles were to be given up by his family a century ago (July 17 1917), there is still physical evidence in our city of the Germanic royal house that once existed. Two commemoration stones relating to members of the royal house previous to the House of Windsor are so readily a part of the fabric of our daily lives but are probably in the most part overlooked.

A walk along Queen Street and on the corner with Aylward Street will present a building with a foundation stone that was laid by HRH Princess Henry of Battenberg in 1912. This was the married title of Queen Victoria's daughter Beatrice which was relinquished on 14 July 1917. From 17 July 1917 she was known as HRH the Princess Beatrice.

A visit to Sainsburys foyer in Commercial Road will provide the opportunity to see a commemoration stone for the opening of the Child's Ward of the Royal Hospital in 1909 by HH Princess Victoria of Schleswig

Four arrested after police crackdown in Commercial Road

Have your say

A DRINK-DRIVER who sped away from police officers while four times over the legal limit has been disqualified from driving for three years.

Magistrates in Portsmouth heard how mum-of-three Suean Charlesworth, of Bredenbury Crescent in Paulsgrove, drank a bottle of wine before getting a taxi to Southsea to pick up her car.

During her drive, the 36-year-old smashed into a parked car and refused to stop for police officers who were trying to flag her down on the M275.

It also transpired her driving licence had previously been revoked for medical reasons, making her insurance invalid.

Prosecutor Andrew Newman told the court how the defendant was driving her Mercedes in Landport Terrace at around 5.20pm on January 8, before colliding with a parked hire car.

Mr Newman said the man who had hired the car was in the driver’s seat.

‘He was hit by another car. The impact made his head hit the windscreen. The car did not stop,’ he said.

‘He pulled alongside the woman and she just stared ahead. He was flashing his lights at her and she pulled over eventually in Unicorn Gate. He approached the driver. She was staring forwards.’

The defendant drove off when police were called, the court was told.

Mr Newman told the court police officers spotted Charleworth’s Mercedes on the M275, and despite attempts to make her pull over, she drove on.

He said: ‘They drove alongside the female and pulled in front of her and she drove around them.’

The court heard how a constable was running alongside the car, trying to open the passenger door, which was locked.

Charlesworth eventually stopped on the M275 and was arrested. A breath test found she was almost four times over the legal limit.

Salim Chowdhury, defending, told the court his client had an issue with alcohol and had got a taxi to The Queen’s Hotel in Southsea to pick up the car, which her former partner had taken to work.

He said: ‘She was at home and had an argument with her ex. He had visited their home to visit their children. She spent the afternoon consuming a bottle of wine. She decided that she wanted her car back.’

Mr Chowdhury said his client was unaware she had crashed into the parked vehicle. He said she has no previous convictions.

Magistrates banned Charlesworth from driving for three years, imposed a curfew for three months, told her to complete a 12-month community order, six-months alcohol treatment programme and 12-months supervision.

In addition, she was told to pay £85 costs and a £60 victim surcharge.