A MAN who flashed at an eight-year-old girl has been described by a judge as a danger to children.
Raymond Casson was found guilty of exposing himself to the child after a four-day trial at Portsmouth Crown Court.
Judge Richard Price warned the 46-year-old gardener he faces a lengthy jail term when he is sentenced next month.
Casson flashed at the girl as she played on her scooter with her two-year-old brother outside her Portsmouth home on July 28 last year.
The youngster – who cannot be named for legal reasons – ran inside in a hysterical state and told her family what happened.
While her mum called the police the grandmother went to look for the culprit and found Casson staring at children in a nearby play area with his hands in his pockets. The police were quick to arrive and he was arrested.
Casson, who has previous convictions for possessing child pornography and sexual assault, denied exposing himself, claimed he had just been trying to adjust his uncomfortable underwear.
Giving evidence he said the girl was mistaken and the whole thing was a misunderstanding.
But the jury of seven men and five women saw through his lies and found him guilty of exposure.
Detective Constable Andrew Larder, who led the investigation, praised the bravery of the girl.
He said: ‘The young girl had to give evidence and did an excellent job.
‘Thanks to the prompt response of the girl’s grandmother and PCSOs Lucy Nevill and Kayleigh McAdam who were on cycles and had good local knowledge, Casson was detained at the scene near to the children’s playground.’
At the time of the offence Casson was the subject of a Sexual Offences Prevention Order, following his last conviction for two sexual assaults in 2007.
That order banned him from approaching children and going on the internet.
But Casson, who admitted to the jury that he had a sexual preference for children, was unable to stick to the conditions.
He was found guilty of breaching the order.
Casson, of Oyster Quay, Port Solent, was remanded in custody.
He will be sentenced at Portsmouth Crown Court on February 18.