Portsmouth boy, 13, left injured in crowbar attack

INJURED James Ward, 13, who was attacked with a crowbar. Inset, the injury to his head. Picture: Malcolm Wells (122678-5763)
INJURED James Ward, 13, who was attacked with a crowbar. Inset, the injury to his head. Picture: Malcolm Wells (122678-5763)

Taxi driver assaulted by youth with knife in Southsea

9
Have your say

A 13-YEAR-OLD boy is recovering after being hit on the head with a crowbar by an unknown attacker as he walked home.

James Ward was rushed to hospital after the assault and needed to get the top of his head glued together.

INJURED James Ward's head injury. Picture: Malcolm Wells (122678-5763)

INJURED James Ward's head injury. Picture: Malcolm Wells (122678-5763)

He was walking down Sixth Avenue, Cosham, with two friends when he said a man ran out and hit him over the head with a crowbar from behind at 10.25pm on Sunday.

The attacker then walked off and James staggered for a few yards before falling to the ground.

He said: ‘It all happened so quickly, I didn’t know what was going on – it was so scary.

‘I’ve got no idea where this man came from, but it must’ve been a house because he wasn’t wearing a top, he had just his trousers on.

‘One of my mates screamed so I turned round and that’s when he hit me, and then he just walked off like nothing had happened.

‘As soon as I saw the blood I started screaming.

‘I was really scared and I think my mates were too – we were all in shock.’

A man and two women from some of the surrounding houses rushed out to help the boys.

One called the ambulance and police while another brought a blanket and put a cloth on James’ face as they waited for paramedics.

After receiving treatment to his injuries, James, from Drayton, gave a statement to the police.

‘The whole thing has made me a lot more wary,’ he added. ‘I don’t normally hang out there – I’ll not be going back again.’

Officers conducted house-to-house inquiries and are continuing investigations.

No arrests have been made so far.

A spokesman for Hampshire Constabulary said: ‘Police were called at 10.34pm on Sunday to a report of an assault in Sixth Avenue, Cosham.

‘A 13-year-old boy from Portsmouth was injured.

‘Officers have taken a witness statement from him, and conducted house-to-house enquiries in the community.

‘A police investigation is continuing into several lines of enquiry.’

Anyone with information should call police on 101 or 0845 045 4545 or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.