A FAMILY was left shaken after yobs forced lit fireworks through their letterbox in Old Portsmouth.
Rebecca George, her husband David, and 17-year-old daughter Isobel, were in bed when the incident happened just before midnight in Grand Parade on Monday.
The firework, believed to be a Roman candle, lodged in the letterbox and caused minor damage to the front door.
But Mrs George says she is thankful her family was unscathed.
She said: ‘It could have been much worse – thankfully the damage was trivial.
‘My heart was racing.
‘I wish the people who do these things would think of the consequences.
‘What if it had been the house of an elderly person?’
Police say lit fireworks were put through the letterbox of a home in St Thomas’s Street earlier on the same evening between 9.50pm and 10pm.
Minor damage was caused to a tiled floor and skirting.
No one was hurt in the incident and a group of youths was spotted running away.
A St Thomas’s Street homeowner, who did not want to be named, said anti-social behaviour in the area was rare.
PC Gavid Brechany, of St Thomas Safer Neighbourhoods team, said: ‘Fortunately on this occasion both the incidents resulted in only minor damage, however owing to the potential risk to life we are keen to identify the person or people responsible.’
Anybody who may have witnessed the incidents should contact PC Brechany at Portsmouth Central police station on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.