Safety warning as Gosport buses targeted by yobs

Damage to the 9/9A in Bury Road, Gosport

Damage to the 9/9A in Bury Road, Gosport

Robber armed with a knife raids small store

5
Have your say

VANDALS hurling ‘missiles’ at buses have sparked an urgent call for action against dangerous vandalism.

Elderly people are being stranded when the bus firm cancels the service and others have been left terrified when yobs strike.

I just heard a loud bang then realised what had happened

Bus passenger

First Bus stopped the 9/9A route, which goes between Gosport and Fareham on Wednesday after two reports.

One passenger, who asked not to be named, was on the 9/9A bus in Bury Road when it was targeted.

‘I just heard a loud bang then realised what had happened,’ she told The News.

‘All I do know is the housing association isn’t doing much and the problem is happening more than reported.

‘Whoever thought up the way Rowner is designed needs shooting. It’s perfect for this sort of thing to happen and kids to leg it.’

Several incidents were reported in August on the same route, with the service temporarily put on hold.

The route is now running as normal.

Councillor Keith Farr, ward member for Town at Gosport Borough Council, campaigned against the route when it was brought in, saying it did not meet elderly people’s needs.

He said: ‘This vandalism is really terrible. People when they get on the bus are concerned thinking “is going to me as we go along the road?’’.

‘Whoever is doing it will need to be caught.’

Cllr Farr said he thinks the borough council’s community safety partnership could help with the problem youngsters.

Sergeant Tracy Scrase, of Gosport police, said the two reports on Wednesday were the first since August.

‘The worst damage that had been reported to us was a small number of cracked windscreens,’ Sgt Scrase said.

‘We are aware of concerns being raised by local motorists and First Bus following these new reports, and the Neighbourhood Policing Team is continuing to carry out work in the area to tackle this problem, including reviewing CCTV.

A First spokesperson said: ‘The safety of passengers and staff is an absolute priority.

‘We believe this issue can only be resolved within the community, which is why we are working with councillors and the authorities. We reserve the right to withdraw services from areas where it is unsafe to operate.’

Anyone with information should call police on 101.

Back to the top of the page