Second person dies after taking a class A drug in Hampshire

DEADLY A rogue batch of heroin could be to blame for two men's deaths
DEADLY A rogue batch of heroin could be to blame for two men's deaths
Mark Morgan was caught by Riders Against Paedophiles

Snared: Riders Against Paedophiles catch man ‘meeting girl’ at train station

0
Have your say

A SECOND man has died after taking what is thought to be a rogue batch of heroin.

The 33-year-old from Fareham died two days after another man – a 36-year-old from Paulsgrove.

Now drug misuse experts have warned people who use heroin to be extra careful.

Dawn Roberts is head of substance misuse services for Solent NHS Trust.

She said: ‘The priority at the moment is community safety.

‘We have told our service users this batch of heroin appears to be light brown in colour, then turns black when it is cooked.

‘We are not sure if it is the heroin at this stage, but we do want to issue guidance to people feel they have to use it.

‘Do not inject it, but smoke it instead.

‘Also try using smaller quantities, in case it is part of a potentially-contaminated batch.’

Detective Inspector Christopher Parry of Portsmouth CID said: ‘Protecting the community remains our priority during this investigation into stopping the supply of this batch of heroin.

‘We’re in regular contact with our partner agencies to highlight the dangers to anyone who may be affected by substance misuse.

‘Police are particularly grateful to drugs intervention workers and counsellors for delivering advice to some of the most vulnerable people in our communities.’

Three men, aged 57, 48 and 32, from Hampshire, were arrested on Thursday, May 2, on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of a class A drug.

The 32-year-old man and the 48-year-old man remain in police custody for questioning,

The 57-year-old man received a caution for possessing cannabis.

Post-mortem examinations are to be held to help establish the exact causes of death in both cases.

As previously reported, a 39-year-old woman at the same address in Paulsgrove was also taken ill.

She was later discharged from Queen Alexandra Hospital, in Cosham.

A 40-year-old man from Southsea was also taken ill, but later discharged.