Teenager in court after police called to house party

Have your say

A TEENAGER has appeared in court following a house party that got out of hand.

Aaron Brown is accused of breaching the terms of his anti-social behaviour order during the trouble on Tuesday night.

Police were called to Margate Road, in Somers Town, Portsmouth, at 10.30pm as the party spilled out on to the streets.

Neighbours said they feared the trouble could turn into a riot.

Brown, of Commercial Road, Landport, Portsmouth, appeared at Portsmouth Magistrates’ Court yesterday charged with causing harassment, alarm, intimidation or distress which he was prohibited from doing by the Asbo.

The 18-year-old denies the charge.

Wearing a baggy red, white and blue polo shirt and jeans he spoke only to enter his plea and give his name, address and date of birth during the 10-minute hearing.

Prosecutor Graham Dubber said Brown was given the Asbo by Portsmouth magistrates on September 21, 2009.

The two-year order is due to run out next month.

One of the conditions of the order is that Brown must not engage in conduct that is likely to cause harassment, alarm, intimidation or distress to another person.

Mr Dubber said: ‘There was some sort of party going on at the address and a number of young people were within and outside the address and police were concerned that things were likely to get out of hand.’

He said a number of bottles were thrown by others, but not Brown.

The charge against Brown is that he was heard swearing and chanting ‘let’s go mental, let’s go mental’.

Lian Webster-Martin, defending, said Brown admits being at the scene but denies he said anything that would cause anyone harassment, alarm, intimidation or distress.

Chairman of the bench, Stuart Chittenden, released Brown on bail to stand trial before the magistrates in October.

A 16-year-old from Southsea, who was arrested for a public order offence following the trouble, has been cautioned.

Two 16-year-olds charged – one with obstructing a police officer and one with using threatening words or behaviour – were bailed to appear at Youth Court in Fareham later this month.

A 17-year-old arrested for being drunk and disorderly and criminal damage was bailed, and a 16-year-old received a reprimand for obstructing a police officer.