Thief caught out as staff recognise his face from The News

Christopher Walker, 25, of Sackville Street, Southsea, who has got an ASBO benning him from every car park on Portsea Island until January 11 2015.
Christopher Walker, 25, of Sackville Street, Southsea, who has got an ASBO benning him from every car park on Portsea Island until January 11 2015.
Chief Inspector Sharon Woolrich

Senior police officer hits out at ‘irresponsible’ drivers after 320 thefts from vehicles

0
Have your say

PORTSMOUTH’S worst car criminal was caught breaching his Asbo two weeks after being released from prison – when staff recognised his mugshot from The News.

Notorious troublemaker Chris Walker was clocked in a car park, despite being banned from every one in Portsmouth as a condition of the order.

Quick-thinking staff at Portsmouth Watersports Centre recognised Walker from a front page of The News containing his photograph which they had at the Eastern Road site.

They alerted police and he was later arrested and charged.

The 28-year-old – who has more than 170 previous convictions for car crime and has been jailed more than 20 times – pleaded guilty to flouting his Asbo when he appeared at Portsmouth Magistrates’ Court.

His arrest came 13 days after he had been released from prison for a previous breach.

On this occasion one-man crimewave Walker was sentenced to 56 days in jail suspended for a year.

He was also ordered to do 60 hours of unpaid work in the next 12 months and told to pay £40 in court costs.

If Walker, pictured, is caught breaching the terms of his Asbo – which runs until January 2015 – again, he faces jail.

This latest breach comes less than two months after Walker, of Sackville Street, Southsea, was sentenced to eight weeks in jail for entering Asda car park at The Bridge Centre in Fratton, Portsmouth.

On that occasion he was spotted by Portsmouth City Council CCTV operators who alerted police.

Police – who have previously described Walker as a ‘callous individual’ with ‘no regard for the suffering he causes’ – have put more posters of Walker up in car parks warning them to beware.

They were issued in February 2010 when he received the five-year car parks ban.

A police spokesman said: ‘Police are grateful to members of the public for recognising and reporting his actions to us.

‘The public’s vigilance is vital in helping police protect the community from prolific criminals.

‘Your strong support is a powerful warning to any offenders who cause a nuisance to the law-abiding majority in our city.’