DETECTIVES have confirmed a fire that destroyed a row of shops was started by arsonists.
An investigation has concluded that the blaze in Lavender Road, Waterlooville on Saturday morning was the work of arsonists, and was started in the alleyway between Rowlands Pharmacy and Tesco Express.
The two shops were destroyed and a Chinese takeaway was badly damaged.
Maxwell Lau, 30, who runs Kim & Laurie takeaway, said he was shocked that the cause of the fire was arson, and said: ‘It’s not something you expect to happen.’
Cyril Hilton, a councillor for the Stakes ward, condemned the mindlessness of the arsonists. He said: ‘It’s absolute stupidity. What they get out of it, I haven’t the foggiest idea. The sooner they catch the person, the better.
The takeaway will take at least two months to re-open due to extensive repair work needed. Rowlands Pharmacy is operating from a portable cabin near the Stakes Lodge Surgery.
Call Waterlooville CID on 101.