Fourth Portsmouth jihadi killed in Syria

A damaged street in Aleppo, Syria, last November. PPP-140520-152745001

A damaged street in Aleppo, Syria, last November. PPP-140520-152745001

THIS WEEK IN 1999: MP: Animal testing must finish – now

4
Have your say

TEENAGE jihadi fighter Mehdi Hassan has been killed while fighting with ISIL in Syria, according to a leading figure from the city’s Jami mosque.

There have been reports that the 19-year-old, who left Portsmouth in October, was killed early this morning.

His family, in Southsea, heard the news this morning, after pictures of his body circulated on social media.

Hassan, a former pupil at St John’s College in Southsea, went by the name Abu Dujana in Syria and instead of going to university, he flew to Turkey and crossed to Syria with a group who named themselves the ‘Britani Brigade Bangladeshi Bad Boys.’

Jami mosque committee chairman Abdul Jalil said he had been with Hassan’s family this morning and that they were shocked at the news, but not surprised.

He moved to condemn the actions of the men.

Mr Jalil said: ‘They have been brainwashed and they have been influenced by someone. It is very difficult and we are working hard with the crime prevention team and Portsmouth City Council.

‘We are telling our youngsters not to go there. It is a dangerous place.

‘We condemn the actions of these young men. Everyday we are giving speeches against this behaviour and telling them not to go. We are doing our best.’

Hassan is the fourth jihadi from Portsmouth to be killed in Syria within the last year.

Manunur Roshid, 24, from Buckland, was killed on Friday, October 17.

Mahammud Rahman, 25, a Primark worker from Portsmouth, died in August and Ifthekar Jaman, 23, the first from Portsmouth to travel to Syria, died in December.

A further man Mashudur Choudhury, 31, from Portsmouth, who went to fight in Syria but returned to the UK, was convicted of engaging in conduct in preparation of terrorist acts after a 12 day trial at Kingston Crown Court in May.

Choudhury, of Stubbington Avenue, North End, is currently in jail.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: ‘We are aware of reports of the death of a British national in Syria.

‘The UK has advised for some time against all travel to Syria, where all UK consular services are suspended. As we do not have any representation in Syria, it is extremely difficult to get any confirmation of deaths or injuries and our options for supporting British nationals there are extremely limited.’

Back to the top of the page