Defuse the danger and avoid a fire in your home

Copperfields Hair Studio, on Hayling Avenue in Baffins. Picture: Google Street View PPP-171118-153719001

Hair salon in Baffins damaged by thieves

0
Have your say

ELECTRICAL fires account for 600 call-outs for Hampshire Fire and Rescue service every year.

Now firefighters are urging people to make sure they carry out basic checks to ensure their family’s safety.

It comes ahead of Electrical Fire Safety Week from next Monday.

The advice is not to overload plug sockets, regularly check for worn or frayed wires, and unplug appliances when they are not in use.

Appliances should be kept clean and in good working order.

Washing machines and dishwashers should not be left on while out of the house or overnight.

Jim Clarke, a station manager for Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: ‘Half of all accidental fires start from faulty or misused electrical equipment so it is essential to be sure that your electrics are in good working order and are used properly.’

The Electrical Safety Council has a free mobile phone App available. Search for home electrical safety check.