Discarded barbecue causes bin fire in Southsea

The Hotwalls in Old Portsmouth. Picture: Wiki Commons (Labelled for reuse)

TRAVEL AND WEATHER: Grey and blustery start as traffic gets moving

0
Have your say

PEOPLE who use portable barbecues are being urged to ensure they are fully extinguished before disposal after one caused a fire.

Two fire engines from Southsea attended the blaze which had started in bins near to the Queen’s Hotel on Clarence Parade at 6pm yesterday.

Crew manager Alex Hay said: ‘The crews were there for about three quarters of an hour dealing with the fire. I would like to remind people to ensure barbecues are fully extinguished before putting them in to the bin. The best way is to fully douse them before throwing away.’

The car park is near to Southsea Common which was packed yesterday with people enjoying the sunny weather over the bank holiday.