Mums take Sure Start fight to Prime Minister

Pupils at Hillcrest Jubilee School celebrate their uutstanding

rating from Ofsted inspectors

Joy as specialist Waterlooville school earns top Ofsted rating

0
Have your say

MUMS campaigning against Hampshire County Council’s proposals to merge Sure Start centres will be presenting their 32,000-signature petition to Downing Street next week.

Dozens of parents and their children are expected to make the journey to Westminster on Monday, where six mums will hand over the petition and voice their concerns to Prime Minister David Cameron.

Becci Frost, 24, who uses the Oak Meadow centre in Fareham with son Zak, three, said: ‘I’m so honoured to have the chance to put our campaign on a national platform.

‘The petition will show Mr Cameron that children’s centres are not just places where mums dump their children and go off to have a coffee, but crucial services that save the lives of thousands of families.

‘It’s been a tough battle so far with Hampshire but if we get our message across to Mr Cameron we may just win the war.’

Kate Reynolds, 32, co-founder of the Save our Children’s Centres campaign said she would be asking Mr Cameron to ring-fence the Sure Start budget to avoid a ‘postcode lottery’ of children’s centres.