AN ELDERLY woman who smelt smoke in her Copnor home had to be rescued by police officers after the fire engine was forced to park down the street.
The woman called emergency services after she could see and smell smoke at around 3am this morning.
Around 13 firefighters from Southsea Fire Service were called to her home, on Highgate Road, but due to parked cars and a small road, the fire engine had to be parked away from the house.
Police officers, already on-scene, entered the property and helped the woman into her wheelchair before getting her out the house. She was unhurt.
Ian Jeffrey, watch manager at Southsea Fire Station, said: ‘We were called to the incident around 3am but we couldn’t park outside the property.
‘Police officers entered the house first and then two firefighters assisted with getting the lady out.
‘The smoke was caused by a cushion which had landed on an electric heater. It was smouldering rather than on fire which was lucky.
‘It must has been very scary for her seeing smoke and not being able to move.’
He added that police officers had left notes on parked cars - one of which was on double-yellow lines and the other which was parked over a fire hydrant.