False alarm over fire call

HMS Illustrious leaves Portsmouth for the last time
Picture: Shaun Roster

RETRO: Watch the last voyage of HMS Illustrious from Portsmouth

0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS were called following reports of a person trapped inside a burning building.

But when crews arrived to a block of flats in London Road, North End, Portsmouth, they realised some mail on a table in a hallway had caught alight, and no-one was in danger.

The incident happened at 6.30am yesterday morning.

It is believed the fire – which was put out by Cosham firefighters – was caused by a cigarette which had not been put out properly.