Family flee house fire in Portsmouth

BLAZE The fire at Beverstone Road in Paulsgrove
BLAZE The fire at Beverstone Road in Paulsgrove
Clipper Round the World Race crew member Simon Speirs who has died after being swept overboard during the round-the-world yacht race

Portsmouth legend Knox-Johnston leads tributes to sailor killed during Clipper race

0
Have your say

A FAMILY fled their home after a kitchen blaze in Portsmouth this morning.

Fire crews from Cosham were called to a dishwasher fire at the home in Beverston Road, Paulsgrove at 4.50am.

The family living in the house – a mum, three children and a friend – had already left the property and were being looked after by neighbours when firefighters arrived.

Upon arrival, firefighters battled a severe blaze in the kitchen using breathing apparatus, a hose reel and a ventilation fan.

The fire was put out in around ten minutes, and fire crews spent 20 minutes clearing the scene.

The alarm had been raised by a 13-year-old boy living in the house, who heard the smoke alarm going off.

Watch manager Kevin Lloyd Spencer, of Cosham fire station, said: ‘The occupants had already been alerted thanks to a young lad, who heard the smoke alarm going off.

‘We found a severe fire in the kitchen, which was dealt with quickly, but if they didn’t have a smoke detector it could have been a different story.

‘There was severe damage to the kitchen and the ground floor was smoke logged. We were deployed and acted quickly.

‘If they hadn’t had smoke detectors it could have been a different story, which is why everyone should have one.

‘Because of his prompt actions he managed to alert the fire to his family and get everyone out. He did excellently.

‘From what we recommend and the lessons we teach they did exactly what was wanted with them.

‘Without the prompt action of the smoke alarm and him doing his part, we could have been looking at casualties.’

Neighbours Pamela and Terrance Clark took the family in while fire fighters extinguished the blaze.

Mrs Clark said: ‘We heard a bang on the door and the mum said the house was on fire.

‘The mum was a bit upset and nervy but the children were ok.

‘I gave them a blanket and a cup of tea.’