Fareham care home evacuated after fire

HMS Queen Elizabeth arrives in Portsmouth            Picture: PA

RICK JACKSON: The patriotism inspired by HMS Queen Elizabeth is wonderful

0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS tackled a blaze inside the changing rooms at a resident’ home.

Twenty nine people from Farehaven Lodge care home, Nashe Close, were evacuated just after 11pm last night.

Three fire engines – two from Fareham and a retained truck from Portchester – attended the scene.

Watch manager Simon Bates, of red watch at Fareham fire station, said: ‘There was a fire inside the changing room for staff at a care home.

‘The fire is believed to have started after a faulty extractor fan overheated.

‘It then dropped and smouldered inside a plastic waste paper bin, which then caught on fire.

‘Staff were alerted to the fire from a smoke alarm and then called the fire service.’

Crews used two breathing apparatus, one hose reel and a jet to put out the blaze.

There were no injuries.