Fire in bedroom caused by burning cigarette

On the evening of October 23,1970 two tankers collided six miles south of the Isle of Wight. 13 crewmen died.

Flames from the oil tanker Pacific Glory could be seen from Portsdown Hill

0
Have your say

A CIGARETTE not put out properly set a bed on fire.

Havant firefighters were called to the blaze at a maisonette in Swanmore Road, Leigh Park, at 7pm last night.

The smoke alarm alerted a mother and her six children living inside.

One of the children had put out the flames with a bucket of water by the time crews arrived. They then took the mattress and quilt outside and made sure it was cooled down.

Firefighters left the scene half an hour later.

Firefighter Lee Henderson said: ‘The people were in the property, but luckily their smoke alarm went off and they got out.

‘The damage wasn’t too bad.’