Fire in bin spreads to home on Hayling Island

The fire service was called out to Hayling Island
The fire service was called out to Hayling Island
Clipper Round the World Race crew member Simon Speirs who has died after being swept overboard during the round-the-world yacht race

Portsmouth legend Knox-Johnston leads tributes to sailor killed during Clipper race

Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS tackled a rubbish fire which spread to a home in Hayling Island.

A crew from the retained Hayling Island fire station was called to Tournerbury Lane at 1.59am today to a bin fire.

The fire quickly spread to the roof of the house.

Two further fire engines from Havant and Cosham were called out.

Propane cylinders stored nearby had to be cooled to make them safe and isolated from the fire.

The five-bedroom chalet-style bungalow was affected by smoke damage inside and part of the roof was damaged.

A total of 17 firefighters tackled the blaze for more than an hour and managed to save most of the property from fire damage. Nobody was hurt in the incident and no-one had to be rescued. The cause of the fire is thought to be suspicious and an investigation team has been called out.

The residents of the house did not want to comment.