Fire in Portsmouth after man puts on hob then leaves flat

From left, Bryn Bashford, Portsmouth City Council fire safety advisor, Jasmin Myhill from Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks, special constable Kim Braddock and watch manager Stuart Damen, fire safety inspector.

Picture: Sarah Standing

Portsmouth high-rise tenants offered free door-to-door fire safety advice

2
Have your say

A HOMEOWNER started cooking food and then left his flat with the oven on.

Firefighters from Southsea, Cosham, Portchester and Havant were sent to high-rise flats on Saturday afternoon after the fire alarm went off.

When they arrived, the fire had been put out and the smoke cleared.

It happened at Chandos Rise, Buckingham Street, Landport, at about 1.10pm.

A spokesman from Southsea Fire Station said: ‘We were called to the high-rise flats after the fire alarm went off.

‘When we arrived, the fire on the fifth floor had been put out by the resident and the smoke was cleared.

‘We found out the homeowner had put some food on the hob to cook then left the flat.

‘He heard the alarm and quickly returned putting the pot in the sink under some water which put out the fire.

‘He opened the windows and the smoke cleared. He was uninjured.’

Firefighters want to warn people to be careful when cooking and to never leave food unattended.

He added: ‘We would like to warn people not to leave cooking food unattended, let alone cooking while you leave the house.’

The fire is not being investigated.