Fire in stairwell leaves residents trapped

Clipper Round the World Race crew member Simon Speirs who has died after being swept overboard during the round-the-world yacht race

Portsmouth legend Knox-Johnston leads tributes to sailor killed during Clipper race

0
Have your say

ARSONISTS left residents trapped in their homes when they started a small rubbish fire in the main stairwell of a block of flats in Portsmouth.

Two fire crews from Southsea were called to the incident at a stairwell leading to flats above shops at the north end of Commercial Road, Landport, at 11.35pm last night.

Firefighters say some of the residents were concerned as they could not get up and down the stairs to their homes.

The crews remained on scene until 12.10pm to ensure the area was safe.

The incident is being investigated.