Firefighters called after man leaves pork joint in oven and goes shopping

Foster Road. Picture: Google Maps

Foster Road. Picture: Google Maps

Cladding being taken off Horatia House in Somers Town Portsmouth

PICTURED: Residents react as work starts to remove cladding from two Somers Town high rises due to fire risks after Grenfell Tower blaze

8
Have your say

Firefighters were called to a flat in Fratton this morning after the owner left a pork joint in the oven.

Three crews from Southsea Fire Station received the report just after 11am when a delivery driver spotted smoke coming the envelope hatch of the second floor flat in Foster Road.

A spokesman from the station said the owner had been out shopping at the time but returned by the time crews arrived.

He admitted that he left a pork joint cooking in the oven and had gone out.

The firefighters used breathing apparatus and a hose reel to put out the fire.

The spokesman added: ‘We would like to remind everyone to make sure that when cooking do not leave the food unattended.

‘In this case the situation could have been a lot worse.’

Back to the top of the page