Firefighters rescue dog during dramatic conservatory blaze

Firefighters from Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service rescued a dog from a house in Lee-on-the-Solent today All pictures: Jason Kay
Firefighters from Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service rescued a dog from a house in Lee-on-the-Solent today All pictures: Jason Kay
jpns-19-08-17 retro Aug 2017

Sportscar - The two-seater sportscar in which one man died and another was seriously injured

THIS WEEK IN 1980: Identity mystery of car crash victim

1
Have your say

A DOG was rescued from a house after a blaze took hold in the conservatory and sent plumes of smoke into the house.

Fire crews from Fareham and Gosport were called to the fire, in Derwent Road, Lee-on-the-Solent, after worried passers-by reported seeing smoke billowing from the back of the property.

The fire service arrived at the house at 3.45pm today to find the conservatory completely ablaze.

The home owner was out shopping but her dog was in a cage in the living room, which was filling with smoke.

Firefighters saved the dog and stopped the fire from spreading to the rest of the house and the house next door, although the conservatory was 100 per cent damaged by the fire and the house received severe smoke damage from the burnt plastic.

Firefighters contacted the home owner on her mobile phone, on the number printed on the dog’s tag.

The neighbours - a woman in her 30s, her young son and their dog - were also evacuated while the blaze was brought under control.

The incident was over by 5pm.

It is not known how the fire started, whether it was inside or outside of the conservatory, and the incident has been referred to the fire service for further investigation.

The fire destroyed a conservatory

The fire destroyed a conservatory