Firefighters wake man who fell asleep while cooking

editorial image
Pryzm

POLL: Police object to Pryzm selling alcohol until 3am during week – what do you think?

6
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS woke a man who fell asleep as he cooked a meal at his Portsmouth home early today.

A crew from Southsea fire station was called to an address in Sultan Road, Buckland, after a man had fallen asleep while cooking.

A neighbour had heard next door’s smoke alarm going off at around 4am and called 999.

When firefighters arrived at the property, smoke was billowing from the letterbox.

After several unsuccessful attempts to rouse the sleeping man, who was in his 40s, by banging the door and windows, the crew prepared to break down the door.

Luckily, the man then woke and answered the door and firefighters were able to put out the fire, which had started with food being cooked in a frying pan on the hob.

The incident was over by 4.40am. The property suffered smoke damage.

Firefighters urged people to test their smoke alarms.

Back to the top of the page