Five crews tackle fire at Portsmouth tower block

Police

Police punish 10-year-old girls for theft at Hayling Island holiday park

0
Have your say

FIRE engines went to tackle a blaze at a high-rise tower block owned by the University of Portsmouth.

A small fire started in a communal kitchen on the third floor of Trafalgar Hall, which provides student accommodation.

Five fire engines, an aerial ladder platform and a special equipment unit were sent Middle Street, Southsea, at about 8.45pm last night as a precautionary measure.

A wooden area around the stove had overheated and was smouldering.

Firefighters used two breathing apparatus to quickly extinguish the fire.

The fire was one of a number of call-outs for Southsea fire station yesterday.

They were called to sheltered accommodation in Moorings Way, Milton.

Firefighters arrived at about 7.25pm and found a potato peeling device had overheated.

They gave advice and recommended an engineer come to look at the gadget.

A crew also went to Kimbolton Road, Baffins, at about 8.30pm and put out another fire in a kitchen.

This time fat had dripped to the bottom of the oven and caught fire.