Forty-five homes evacuated after gas cylinder catches fire

Local authorities have been stepping up the bid to prevent the illegal dumping of waste

LETTER OF THE DAY: The fly-tipping blight

0
Have your say

ABOUT 45 homes were evacuated by firefighters after a gas cylinder caught fire at a property.

Five fire crews and a specialist equipment unit were called to tackle the blaze at Springvale Swanmore at about 4.15pm.

Crews found the large cylinder containing highly flammable acetylene on fire at the back of the property.

Homes within a 200m radius were evacuated as a safety precaution.

However none of the properties were involved in the fire.

The village’s community hall was opened to accommodate residents who were evacuated.

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service said the blaze was brought under control after about three hours.

However cooling of the cylinder was set to continue until it was deemed safe.

It is not known how the fire started, however the cause of the blaze will be investigated.