Fryer causes blaze in Southsea

Fareham MP Suella Fernandes, second right, and Minister of State for Schools The Rt Hon Nick Gibb MP, centre, with representatives from Portchester Community School  and Henry Cort Community College

Fareham schools issue plea to minister over new funding formula

  • Fire in chip shop caused by deep fat fryer
  • Firefighters quickly dealt with blaze in Fawcett Road
Have your say

A DEEP fat fryer caused a blaze in a chip shop in Southsea.

Firefighters were called to The Fisherman’s Wharf chip shop, in Fawcett Road, this morning but were able to get the fire under control quickly.

A spokesman from Southsea fire station said they were called at around 11am.

‘The fire was caused by a deep fat fryer getting to its ignition temperature,’ he said.

‘Part of the extractor system was clogged up so that also caught fire.

‘We were able to get it under control in about 15 minutes and did a check for any further problems.’

Picture: Nathaniel Charles Villette

Picture: Nathaniel Charles Villette

The road was closed while the fire crew dealt with the blaze.

No-one was injured in the incident.

The fire was caused by a deep fat fryer getting to its ignition temperature

Hampshire Fire and Rescue spokesman

Back to the top of the page