Fundraiser Paul will take part in royal parade

MADE IT Paul Smith at the end of his challenge at the Emirates Stadium in London
MADE IT Paul Smith at the end of his challenge at the Emirates Stadium in London
The funeral of Jill Wright was held in The South Chapel at Portchester Crematorium 

Picture: Malcolm Wells (171023-0185)

‘A very sad day’ as respects are paid to popular councillor

0
Have your say

DISABLED Paul Smith’s heroic fundraising efforts have been given a royal seal of approval.

Last month, Mr Smith, of Magdala Way in Cosham, Portsmouth, self-propelled his wheelchair for 200-miles in an attempt to raise £50,000 for Save the Children.

He completed the challenge – from Portland in Dorset to the Emirates Stadium in London – in a total of 36 hours on the road.

Now his determination has been rewarded with an invitation to the Diamond Jubilee Pageant at Windsor Castle on May 11.

Not only will he get to witness the magnificent celebrations – featuring more than 1,000 dancers, musicians and performers from around the world – he will be a guest in the royal box with the Princess Royal, who is president of the children’s charity.

He will take his wife Jane, who was a member of his road team and provided him with medical assistance along the way.

Mr Smith, who was left disabled after a road accident in 1991, said he was reluctant to accept the invitation, but did so on behalf of the team that helped him complete his challenge.

He said: ‘I don’t do my challenges for any kind of reward but it’s very nice to receive and I’m quite honoured.

‘I’m looking forward to it. I was reluctant to accept it but other people within the crew said I should take it.

‘I spoke to Jane about it and decided to accept it on behalf of them.

‘I do these challenges because I like doing them and I know it will bring help to a lot of children.’

You can sponsor Paul at justgiving.com/challenge200