RETIRED soldier Garry Fleetwood has made a generous offer that will boost a fundraising day set up in memory of a hero marine.
The 50-year-old dad-of-seven will donate 50 per cent of his takings from his burger van on Heroes Day – a charity fundraiser in the memory of Royal Marine Richard Hollington.
Mr Fleetwood was in the army for 14 years, serving in Northern Ireland, and now runs a burger van at Kiln Acre Business Park in Wickham Road, Fareham.
He said he didn’t think twice about throwing his full support behind Heroes Day, which takes place on Trafalgar Day on October 21 and will raise money for Help for Heroes.
‘I thought it would be nice to give something back,’ said Mr Fleetwood, of Avery Lane, Gosport.
‘This is a fantastic idea, absolutely fantastic.
‘The poor soldiers who get wounded – there’s not enough help for them.
‘All the British soldiers serving in Afghanistan are my heroes.
‘I’d like to come as a soldier on the day.’
Mr Fleetwood’s 18-year-old son Kurtis has just joined the army and the proud dad said the work of Help for Heroes is a lifeline for injured personnel.
He said: ‘The work they do is fantastic.
‘These soldiers are going to need help for the rest of their lives.’
Mr Fleetwood joins a growing list of individuals, schools and businesses that will join in the fun on Heroes Day.
The idea is to dress up as your hero for the day. In return for the privilege you pay £1.
The fundraiser has snowballed into a national day with the backing of David Cameron after being invented by Danny Glavin, a teacher and friend of Richard Hollington, who attended Purbrook Park School.
Richard’s father Robin, from Petersfield, said he was over the moon about the number of people wanting to take part.
But he urged people to register at the Heroes Day website. He said: ‘The only way for us to gauge the success of Heroes Day is for people to register so we can know how much is being raised.’
ROLL OF HONOUR
· Portsmouth City Council
· Tesco, Havant
· Staunton Country Park, Havant
· Park Community School, Leigh Park
· Havant Academy
· Fox Associates, Cosham
· Emsworth Business Association
· Vane Recruitment, Portsmouth
· Horndean Infant School
· Jubilee Day Nursery, Steep
· Primary Treasure Chest
· Blue Panda Website Design
· Goodman Masson
· New Forest Sports Massage
· Orkney Islands Council
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
· For more information about Heroes Day check out heroesday.org.uk where there is a pack for primary schools to download.
· To register to take part send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, sending details of the organisation and contact details.
· The News would like to hear from any organisation which wants to take part. Please email email@example.com or call Jeff Travis on (023) 9249 2444.
· You can get involved through Twitter. Use the hashtag #heroesday