Gosport watch manager praised for keeping couple calm during fire

Copperfields Hair Studio, on Hayling Avenue in Baffins. Picture: Google Street View PPP-171118-153719001

Hair salon in Baffins damaged by thieves

0
Have your say

A COUPLE had to flee their home after a chip pan caught fire.

They were alerted by the smoke detector in their maisonette in Heritage Way, Priddy’s Hard, Gosport.

A spokesman for Hampshire Fire and Rescue praised Gosport Fire Station watch manager Paul Vine, who kept the couple calm by talking to them on the phone until the fire engines arrived.

He said: ‘The watch manager was talking them through what they needed to do, such as rousing the neighbours and not going back into the flat.’

He added: ‘This only goes to show the importance of a working smoke alarm in your house. Information about where to fit them in your property is available on hantsfire.gov.uk.’

The fire broke out just before 6.30pm last night, and two pumps from the fire station attended.

The blaze was confined to the kitchen.