PLAYING with his big sister Olivia, Jay Britton was as happy as sandboy – literally.
The fun-loving siblings were enjoying the day at play in the sand pit while their parents relaxed and soaked up the rays at Port Solent.
The marina was packed yesterday with families enjoying food in the bars and restaurants and strolling around the shops. But it was in the play area where most fun was being had.
Jay Britton, four, and seven-year-old sister Olivia, said: ‘We’ve been making sand castles and having lots of fun.’
Dad Rob Britton, from Heathlands, Shedfield, said: ‘We all had a lovely day. The sun was out so we thought we’d come down here and take the children out to look at the boats.
‘We all chose which one we’d buy if we had the money.
‘The children liked the biggest ones of course.
‘We had no plan really, we just wanted to make the most of the sun and the children have been playing in the play area in the afternoon.’
Port Solent holds a Kids Club every Wednesday and Saturday throughout the summer holidays.
For more information go to portsolent.com
WHAT’S ON TOMORROW
· Find out amazing animal facts at the Blue Reef Aquarium, on Clarence Esplanade. Take along your unwanted plastic bags as staff are collecting them to highlight the dangers of plastic bags to marine life, before recycling them correctly. The aquarium is open daily from 10am to 5pm. Go to bluereefaquarium.co.uk or call (023) 9287 5222.
· For every child ticket bought at the Odeon Cinema, Port Solent, you get a free adult ticket. The offer is on throughout the summer. Go to odeon.co.uk or call 0871 2244 007.
· Skates, skateboards, scooters and BMX bikes are all welcome at Southsea Skatepark, on Clarence Esplanade. Equipment is available to hire and under eights must be accompanied by an adult. Entry is £2.50 between 10am and midday and £3 until 6pm. Go to southseaskatepark.com or call (023) 9229 5360.
· The whole family will get the chance to experience life as a Royal Marine at the Royal Marines Museum, in Eastney, with some commando style action led by cadets. The fun is on weekdays from 10am to 2pm. Children are £5.50 and adults are £7.95. Go to royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk or call (023) 9281 9385.
· Bungee trampolines will be outside Primark, in Commercial Road, throughout the summer holidays. Taking part costs £3 for three minutes.
· The YMCA play scheme runs throughout the summer holidays. There are arts and crafts, day trips, swimming and drama to keep children entertained. The cost is £22 per day with a 10 per cent discount if booked two weeks in advance. The play scheme, which is based at Charter Academy, Greetham Street, Landport, runs until September 7. Call 01489 785228 for information.