Asbestos is linked to man’s death

QA is working to reduce the problem of bed-blocking, when patients who are ready to leave the hospital cannot do so due to care packages not being ready

Bed-blocking: Patient is stuck in hospital for 17 weeks waiting for care package to be agreed

0
Have your say

A HEATING engineer died as a result of coming into contact with asbestos 30 years ago, a coroner ruled.

Peter Edwards, 57, of Commonside, Westbourne, died on February 19 at St Wilfrid’s Hospice, Chichester.

Mr Edwards was told he had mesothelioma in 2014, described at the Chichester inquest as ‘absolutely devastating’ for him and his family’.

He was an apprentice at 15 in Emsworth and worked at installing and repairing boilers in the area, including at the barracks on Thorney Island.

The inquest heard Mr Edwards was not told of the dangers of working with asbestos at the time and no protective clothing was issued to him.

Coroner Penelope Schofield recorded a verdict of industrial disease.

Back to the top of the page