THE hospital at the heart of the controversy surrounding brain tumour patient Ashya King has said medics were willing to support the five-year-old’s transfer to Prague for treatment.
As reported, parents Brett and Naghemeh are being held in Madrid after removing Ashya from Southampton General Hospital on Thursday and taking him to Spain.
Dad Brett King revealed in a YouTube video uploaded on Saturday that the family were planning to take the seriously ill boy to the Czech Republic for proton beam therapy treatment as he said they had been denied it on the NHS.
Now University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust has said it would have supported the transfer of Ashya’s care to the Proton Therapy Centre in Prague, although medics did not recommend it.
A spokesperson for the trust said: ‘While Ashya was under our care, we discussed the option of treatment in this centre with the family and made contact with them at that point.
‘We were willing to support the family’s transfer to Prague for proton beam radiotherapy, although we did not recommend it.
‘The Proton Therapy Centre has been in touch again yesterday afternoon to enquire about Ashya’s potential future care and confirm that they would be keen to treat him if he is suitable according to the relevant criteria.
‘We have of course been open to discussing this, however, since Ashya is a ward of court, at this stage it is for a judge to make all future decisions regarding his treatment.
‘The decision to apply for ward of court was made by Portsmouth City Council with our support and on the advice of Hampshire Police.’
As reported, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and Portsmouth City Council leader councillor Donna Jones has joined mounting calls for Mr and Mrs King to be released from custody and reunited with their son.
Ashya is under police guard about 330 miles away at Materno-Infantil hospital in Malaga.
A hearing was due to be held at the family court this afternoon.