CHILDREN were literally bouncing off the walls as they took part in a fundraiser.
Around 40 youngsters took part in a sponsored bounce-a-thon at the Purbrook Centre, in Stakes Road.
The event was held to raise money for Grace’s Goal.
Grace Shiers, four, has cerebral palsy, and is unable to walk without help.
Her parents Katy and David, both 28, of Titus Gardens, Waterlooville, want to raise £65,000 to take Grace to USA for a life-changing operation.
It would be carried out in St Louis Hospital in Missouri.
The bounce-a-thon is one of many events taking place, to help Grace reach her goal.
Katy said: ‘The idea started off as just a few children, whose parents are my college friends.
‘Then David said to put it on Facebook and see if more people want to come along.
‘It just escalated from there, and turned into a much bigger event.
‘We raised £276 from refreshment sales alone, which is promising.’
A sprout-eating contest was held at The Phoenix pub in Duncan Road, Southsea.
In total, 11 people took part – eating 928 sprouts between them, with the winner gobbling 154.
Three runners also took part in the Portsmouth Coastal Half Marathon.
It is thought about £4,500 has been raised so far in total.
Katy added: ‘Grace gets so excited when she sees her rainbow logo somewhere, and she’s taking it all well.
‘But her muscles in her hips are getting tighter.
‘The cut-off point for muscle tightness by the hips is 30 per cent, and Grace is on 27 per cent.
‘It would mean she would need to have two operations, and it’s something we don’t want to do.
‘This is driving us further to raise the money.’
The procedure the Shiers are fundraising for is called selective dorsal rhizotomy.
The aim of SDR is to ease muscle spasticity and improve mobility in people with cerebral palsy.
It involves cutting nerves in the lower spine that are responsible for muscle rigidity. It is not funded by the NHS, but is due to be reviewed in April this year.
To support Grace by donating money, visit graces-goal.org.uk
EVENTS LINED UP TO KEEP UP DRIVE TO FUNDRAISE
HERE’S a list of events coming up to raise money for Grace’s Goal.
· March 8, cartoon character fun day, in Park Community School, Middle Park Way, Havant, from midday to 4pm. Free entry.
· March 16, from 1pm to 3pm, Peppa Pig’s surprise birthday party, in All Saints Church Hall, Hambledon Road, Denmead. Tickets cost £5, call 07891 721405.
· April 6, craft fair at the Church of the Sacred Heart, Cowplain, from 1.30pm to 4.30pm. Free entrance.
· May 18, purple and white ball for children under the age of 13, at the Blue Lagoon, Hilsea, from 1.30pm to 3pm. Tickets cost £4, call 07891 721405.
· May 23, Grace’s Goal Spring Ball, at the Hilton Hotel, Portsmouth, from 7.30pm. Tickets cost £20, call 07891 721405.
· June 14, pamper night for women, and sumo wrestling for men, at the Cowplain Activity Centre, in Padnell Road. Over-18s only. Tickets cost £10, to buy call 07891 721405.