Da Vinci robot patient to take part in walk

The Da Vinci robot
The Da Vinci robot

Fears raised over lack of GP surgery at homes site

0
Have your say

RETIRED journalist Peter Rogers had been fortunate enough to never need hospital help.

But that changed in May last year when the 71-year-old was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

Peter Rogers. Picture: Ian Hargreaves

Peter Rogers. Picture: Ian Hargreaves

But just two months later, thanks to futuristic robotic surgical kit at Queen Alexandra Hospital, in Cosham, Mr Rogers was back home with the cancerous prostate removed.

He was only in hospital for three days in June after being operated on by the Da Vinci Robot.

Mr Rogers, of South Parade, Southsea, said: ‘I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and was told I would be eligible for the Da Vinci Robot to carry out my procedure.

‘All I can say was my experience was absolutely amazing.

‘The hospital itself, the theatres, and the robot were just brilliant.

‘I had the cancerous prostate removed and was out of hospital in three days.

‘I was intrigued by the robot and feel very fortunate that we have this.

‘Once you are confronted with a predicament like this, it’s only then you realise how complex the health system is and the mind boggles.’

Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust, which runs QA, in Cosham, acquired the robot last May.

But £2.4m needs to be raised by The Rocky Appeal to keep the robot permanently.

So far £178,000 has been raised and a sponsored walk in April is hoping to draw in more funds.

It’s a walk Mr Rogers will be taking part in.

He said: ‘Portsmouth is leading the way with this equipment and I want to do my bit to help keep it here.

‘I’m proud to support The Rocky Appeal and I hope many others will come along and join me.’

The sponsored walk takes place on Sunday, April 26, and starts in Eastney at the toilet block and ends in the Still and West pub, in Gunwharf Quays.

The News will publish a roll of honour and print the names of all those who register and take part in the walk.