FRIENDS and family are being called upon once again to take part in a memorial midnight stroll.
People can sign up to this year’s Moonlit Memories Walk, which takes place on June 16.
Each year, hundreds of people start off from Castle Field, Southsea, and walk 12 miles around Old Portsmouth and the Historic Dockyard in memory of someone who has died.
In its fifth year, the walk raises funds for The Rowans Hospice, in Purbrook.
Last year, about 1,600 people took part – a figure the team hopes to increase this year.
To mark the event’s fifth anniversary the hospice has introduced a shorter five-mile route and lowered the age limit for walkers.
Chief executive Ruth White said: ‘We’re lowering the age limit so that people aged 13 and over can join in the walk.
‘Each year about 80 per cent of the people who take part are new.
‘We’ve noticed that people don’t come back.
‘So this year we’ve introduced a shorter route to encourage more to come along. We’re proud of what has been achieved so far.
‘It’s incredible to think in four years we have raised £1.25m.’
The event is being sponsored again by Biscoes law firm, in Kingston Crescent, Kingston.
Ian Young, chairman of trustees for The Rowans Hospice, said: ‘It was a great pleasure to be in the Biscoes’ offices for the launch of the fifth Moonlit Memories Walk.
‘I’d like to thank them for their support this year and for all the previous years.
‘The walk helps our care in the community and is making a big difference. It’s great to see friends and family come out and turn the memories of lost loved ones into something positive.’
People cannot register on the night and need to enter by June 8.
To download a registration form visit rowanshospice.co.uk or call (023) 9223 8533.