Inquest opens into death of doctor Richard Sanderson

Charity runs diabetes wellness day

0
Have your say

The inquest of doctor Richard Sanderson, who died weeks after a hernia operation, is being heard today.

Dr Sanderson died aged 63 on March, 21, 2011, at Queen Alexandra Hospital.

He was taken in after he was unable to hold down food and had been vomiting constantly.

On March 4 last year, Dr Sanderson had surgery at the Independent Sector Treatment Centre, at the former St Mary’s Hospital, in Milton.

He was fitted with a mesh to treat two hernias and was discharged.

But within hours the doctor, who had practiced at the Drayton Surgery, started vomiting.

His widow Jennifer Sanderson has been speaking at the inquest.

She said: ‘At home he did not feel well and was walking about because he could not get comfortable anywhere.’

Coroner David Horsley then heard how Dr Sanderson was prescribed paracetamols to stop the sickness and was given a laxatives to help with bowel movements.

But after a few days Dr Sanderson showed signs of sickness again.

The inquest has heard how he visited Queen Alexandra Hospital, Cosham, twice before he died.

Pathologist Barbara Borek said: ‘An internal examination found the surgery had been satisfactory.

‘The mesh had been used to repair the defects that had caused the hernia.

‘On the right side of one of the hernias was another defect of around 1cm.

‘My investigation to the cause of death is multi-organ failure.’

The inquest has also heard from consultant surgeon Marisia Walters, who performed the operation.

She said the surgery had gone well.

But questions have been raised over communication between the ISTC and QA as a message from Mrs Sanderson given to a nurse was not passed on to a team of laparoscopic specialists that work together at both sites.

This may have caused a delay in correctly diagnosing what was causing Dr Sanderson’s vomiting.

The inquest continues.