ALMOST two weeks in to the Give Blood This Christmas campaign, The News has seen a brilliant response from readers ready to roll up their sleeves and donate.
But with the cold weather setting in, people are more likely to pick up colds and flus and stay at home.
We’re working with NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) to get 200 people signed up on the blood donor register, to ensure stocks are high for the future.
NHSBT is asking people to ensure they keep their appointment times, or call ahead if they need to cancel.
John Canning, lead donor relations manager for the south region, said: ‘With winter being the time for colds and flu, it is inevitable a number of people won’t be able to attend their appointments, but we would urge people to make us aware of this.
‘We have seen a brilliant response to The News campaign so far and every appointment counts.
‘If for some reason you are unable to make it to your booked session, then please let us know as early as possible.
‘We can then try and re-book you in at a time that is convenient for you.
‘While this is something that should be done all year round, it is especially important to do this now due to the number of new blood donors who have been inspired to sign up by the Give Blood at Christmas campaign.’
So far scores of people have already pledged to give blood – but we want more people to come forward.
This message is echoed by NHSBT.
‘Thank you to everyone who has pledged to give blood – you have just made the first step in giving the gift of life,’ added Mr Canning.
‘We are also grateful to all those donors who have come forward and donated this month.
‘However, we still need hundreds more people to follow this example and pledge to roll your sleeves up. The campaign is all about making sure we have enough donors in the future so please sign up – even if you are pledging to give a donation next month we still need you to sign up now.’
To find out more or to book an appointment call 0300 123 23 23.
Or people can register online at blood.co.uk.
Where you can give blood
· Monday, December 17, Holiday Inn, Cartwright Drive, Titchfield: 1.30pm to 3.25pm and 4.30pm to 7.30pm.
· Wednesday, December 19, Waltham Chase Village Hall, Winchester Road, Waltham Chase: 1.30pm to 3.25pm and 4.30pm to 7.30pm.
· Thursday, December 20, Petersfield Festival Hall, Heath Road, Petersfield: 1.30pm to 3.25pm and 4.30pm to 7.30pm.
· Friday, December 21, All Saints Church, Hambledon Road, Denmead: 1.30pm to 3.25pm and 4.30pm to 7.30pm.
· Monday, December 24, Sarisbury Green Community Centre, The Green, Sarisbury Green: 10am to 12.25pm and 1.45pm to 4.15pm.