DCSIMG

Electrician raises concerns about temporary pool at Fareham Leisure Centre

The temporary swimming pool at Fareham Leisure Centre

The temporary swimming pool at Fareham Leisure Centre

 

EXPERIENCED electrician Steve McCoy has slammed Fareham Leisure Centre for its workmanship around a temporary pool while its main pool is undergoing renovation.

Mr McCoy, of Alders Road, Fareham, said he was so worried about the situation, he has taken his 11-year-old son out of swimming lessons as he fears for his safety.

The temporary pool was put in place while the leisure centre underwent a £1.5m refurbishment, which is due to be completed on Monday.

Mr McCoy, who has been an electrician for 30 years, first raised his concerns back in March, when the temporary pool first opened, after he spotted lights near the pool that were too close and unsafe, and after he saw an extension cable in use on the poolside.

Mr McCoy said: ‘In my opinion, that temporary pool should never have opened.

‘They have a duty of care, to the people using the pool and to the staff, who they are letting use the equipment.

‘More importantly there are kids and old age pensioners using the pool. It is putting people’s lives at risk.’

Mr McCoy wrote to the council after not receiving the response he wanted from the management, and now he wants to warn others.

He said the cable and the lights contravene British Standards and could cause shocks if they became wet.

Cllr Connie Hockley, the council’s executive member for leisure, said: ‘We received a complaint about the light fittings and the use of an extension lead in May.

‘We visited the next day and made recommendations to the management about the light fittings. The extension lead was not seen to be in use.

‘We revisited when the recommendations had been actioned and had the work verified by our own independent contractor and also the centre provided a copy of the electrical installation certificate on completion.’

Manager of the leisure centre, Ryan Grant, said the health and safety of his customers was a key priority.

He added: ‘The council’s environmental health department visited the site and declared the fixtures, fittings and electrical installation in the temporary pool to be safe for swimmers and within guidelines.

‘Feedback about the temporary pool has been fantastic and we’re delighted to have been able to provide this facility while the renovation takes place.’

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page