Nikki Caputa is a health and fitness coach who works one-to-one with clients and runs her own fitness camps in Fareham where she trains groups.
Nikki is also an ambassador for Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution and a UK Hypo-presive Method Trainer.
She helps people master a fitness technique that targets the core.
Visit fab-body-fitness.co.uk. Follow Nikki on Twitter @nikkifit mum1
Recently on social media I was following a thread that talked about water and whether people thought they should drink tap water, bottled water or filtered water.
It was very interesting to read people’s views.
On the one hand there were comments that if it has been passed as safe and comes through our taps, then it must be okay to drink.
The other view was that there is lots of research into what tap water contains even after the filtration process and it doesn’t make very good reading.
With this in mind I thought I would share my views on the subject with you and then leave it for you to decide.
For a start water is very important to our survival. Every single cell in our body needs water to make it function properly and as we literally are just made up of billions of cells you can start to see how important water is.
Water will keep us hydrated, giving us more energy, and a much better balance of hormones, which will balance how we feel and govern our moods.
It’s also vital for all bodily functions and especially for performance in sports, hobbies and everyday tasks.
My recommendations for daily intake would be two to three litres a day (tea and coffee isn’t included in this).
The safety of tap water is a huge issue and this is just a brief summary of the subject.
Often those advocating the safety of drinking water will quote additives and contaminants in parts per million or billion, to placate those who are concerned about such issues.
Unfortunately I understand many of the body’s endocrine functions are sensitive to parts per trillion.
We all know that water goes through a process treatment in order for us to be able to drink it.
However, only suspended matter such as silt and sand can be mechanically filtered.
This leaves sediment, micro-organisms and dissolved chemicals in the filtered water which I maintain can still be contaminated on route to your home by faulty pipes and soldering leaks.
More than 700 different chemicals have been identified in American drinking water and I understand the situation is only marginally better in the UK.
In some areas water has reportedly become so contaminated it is only safe to drink by adding chlorine to kill the parasites, bacteria, algae, yeast and moulds. But chlorine unites with other pollutants in the water and can form new compounds known as trihalomethanes which are known carcinogens.
Distilled water is safe to drink, but it should not be consumed over a long period of time.
Distilled water is empty water and it will help to draw out the toxins from the body.
However prolonged usage will leach vital minerals and vitamins from the body.
Studies show that prolonged drinking of sparkling water can create problems for the body. Fizzy drinks contain carbon dioxide in the bubbles.
The body needs and requires oxygen and most carbon dioxide in the body is considered a waste product to be eliminated.
Why add to the body’s troubles by drinking carbon dioxide which the body regards as a poison?
The occasional fizzy drink is fine, but do not make it a habit.
Many people believe that they are making a conscious health choice when they reach for bottled water over tap water.
Given the choice, I’d rather consume bottled water.
One concern is the bottle itself. Most plastic water bottles contain chemicals like BPA and phthalates, which mimic hormones in your body. In my opinion the only way of knowing that you are consuming ‘pure’ water is by having a water filter installed in your home.